Saturday, August 14, 2010

First post-my breast cancer log

This is very hard to say-I have Breast Cancer.  Let me start by saying that my outcome (says the docs) is excellent.  Just a little surgery here, some recovery, probably no radiation or chemo, and I'll be as good as new!  If there was a 'good' breast cancer, this is the one. I am one of the lucky ones.  My cancer was found in one of the earliest stages.
 
First of all, please, please DO NOT say anything to my mom.  She is getting more fragile and I have not yet decided how to tell her.  Thank you for your support in my decision.
 
So, let me just catch you all up to how this all began...

I had a routine mammogram.  The lab said there are some 'probably' calcium deposits and told me to go get a biopsy.  'Probably' nothing to worry about.  So, I didn't worry about it.  There were other things in life that was more important-holidays, family dinners, our annual Memorial Day vacation where we celebrate Brett's birthday (23 this year!), lunches, dinner...you know the drill.  The lab sent me letters, then the letters said it's the final one, then more letters and phone calls.  Geez Louise, OK already!  I get the message.  All this grief for some 'probable' calcium deposits.  I called the lab to go in for the biopsy.  My biggest worry at the time was how much the needle was going to hurt and the inability to use my arm for the next 24-48 hours.  LOL!!  Was I ever not on the right page!!  I had the biopsy on Friday, 7/16 and they called me on the 20th, on MY BIRTHDAY, to tell me that there cancer.  I was at home all by myself, both the radiologist and my OB calling me at the same time!  Yes, it was very traumatic!
 
I have a wonderful surgeon, Dr, Lisa Guerra out of Hoag Hospital.  She is totally awesome and Larry and I just love her.  Well, I totally love her and Larry should only LIKE her!  LOL!!  I feel 100%, maybe 200% comfortable knowing she will be with me in the operating room.  There are a few more decisions that we have to make and will be setting a date for surgery.
 
Larry is my rock.  He's has been at my side from the first moment.  His major in college was NOT computer science but microbiology.  Larry is (as i like to say) an OLOGY person and I am a calculator person.  I do not get the ology words, cannot pronounce the ology words and do not know the definition of ology words!!!  The doctor will say something and Larry totally gets it.  I am beginning to get it.  The learning curve is HUGE!!!!  I really don't want to have to learn all this new terminology and medical stuff.  You all know me-I do not like change.

Please forgive me for not telling you all sooner.  Even though my cancer was found very, very early and my outcome will be so positive, this has been very difficult and scary.  I have family members who have some medical issues that this news will be very difficult.  Plus, I needed the time to digest the diagnosis and find the path that I will take.


I have been blessed to have found this cancer sooooo very early, to have a fabulous surgeon, to have such a great family and friends, to have 2 wonderful kids and a fabulous husband.  Without him, I do not know where I would be.  Larry, mahalo and I love you.

4 comments:

  1. To Anita - Thank you for sharing your difficult news, bless you for your strength and positive approach - your best medicine! You are in our thoughts, part of our prayers, and we wish you a safe and quick journey through this time - back to the celebrations, family dinners, holidays, friends, and laughter - the important things in life. Keep the spirit - Aloha!
    Love Cindie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Anita, you have the Aloho Spirit... we will keep you in our thougths & prayers as you go through this journey. It is a blessing that that they caught it early and with your positive attitude, your wonderful surgeon & Larry by your side eveything is going to be OK.
    Our Prayers are with you always,
    \O/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita,

    Thank you for the information and you know you and your family will be in my prayers. Please call me if I can be of any assistance.

    Love and prayers from your Hula sister,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita,

    Sounds like you are in good hands and that is so important at times like these. Nothing better than a great doctor. Stay positive and strong and know that I am praying for you.

    God Bless,
    Bunco Balty

    ReplyDelete