Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Finally, a Surgery Date!!

Now I can plan my life…for the next couple of months, at least. The date of the surgery is set for October 15th at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach at 7:30...AM!!!! As you all know, I am NOT an early bird. Oh, I guess it’ll be ok. I’ll get a chance to have a long nap during surgery to get caught up on my beauty sleep!! LOL!! Hoag Hospital is the same hospital that Brett and Kristi were born in. I am blessed to have a fabulous team of doctors on my side-Dr. Lisa Guerra, my surgeon, Dr. Brian Dickinson, my reconstructive surgeon and Dr. Neil Barth, my oncologist. Everyone I talk to says they are totally awesome. I feel so much at ease knowing they are so highly well respected in their fields.

This is my first attempt at blogging. Please subscribe to my blog and I think that you will get an email when I post a new entry. Or you can ‘bookmark’ my blog at:

www.atakemoto1.blogspot.com

My plan is to post at least once a week. Larry will be a ‘guest blogger’ during my recovery and will be able to keep you all ‘in the know’ about post surgery and recovery.

The outpouring of emails and calls from all of you has touched my heart. Although I may not have replied to you, I have read each and every one of them more than once. I thank you for taking the time to email me, call me, stop by to see me, to think about me and for keeping me in your thots and prayers. I always say you can never have too many prayers. All your emails are saved in a folder in my Inbox. I always knew I had awesome friends. You have just shown it to me again. I appreciate your open offers of help, for shopping and running errands and for meals. Post-op, I am sure that I will need some assistance.

Have you ever had a CT scan with contrast with iodine? Well, if you haven’t, here’s the 411. First, they want you to be well hydrated. Translation, drink a lot so when they stick you to set up the IV, they can find your vein. Translation, they want you to have a full bladder. So, the tech tells me they will give me an iodine push twice (and it’s a lot of iodine!!), once to time how long it takes to get where ever and the second time to do the actual scan. She says you will get a warm feeling starting from the neck down to the bladder. And, you feel like you are peeing…but you are not. Well, with a full bladder already and the iodine push, I was really concentrating hard and felt like I should cross my legs!! I didn’t want to be the first person to pee in the CT machine!! LOL!! So, beware of CT scans with contrast!

Remember in my last blog post I had told you about 3 people who have made long, overdue appointments to see their doctors, I need to up it to 4 people and one who I will be contacting tomorrow to remind her to call her doctor. I skipped my annual mammogram. If I had gone on time, the extent of my cancer would have been a smaller area because it would have been detected earlier. So, if you are due or overdue for an appointment or annual whatever, please go. Do it for me. Do it for your family. Do it for YOURSELF!

Till the next post, take care…

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you have a date that makes life a bit easier at least that not knowing is gone!

    I have had the iodine push and they had to run to find a doctor . . . silly people!

    You are in our prayers and thoughts and see you soon my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Hyekyung but you can call me Katie. I heard about you from my husband Roger. You are in my prayer. I don't have to say " Be strong "to you. You're already enough strong and brave to get through it.. Believe it or not, Kimchi (korea traditional dish) gives people strong immune system. so you can beat the cancer ( I heard you like Kimchi ^&^)
    I hope to see you in the tennis club as soon as possible..
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete