Saturday, October 2, 2010

It’s been too long since my last post…

I know, I know. I said that I would TRY to post once a week. Yes, I know that I am behind. How does that saying go: all good things come to those who wait. Ummm, what’s been happening? Well, Tuesday, I had my pre-op appointment with the fabulous Dr. D, (that’s Dr. Dickinson, my plastic surgeon!!). He got his marker and was drawing pictures of Larry and me on my body…well, really making a map of the incision cuts. If he ever wants to give up being a surgeon, he can definitely making a living being an artist!!

Wednesday, I saw my awesome breast surgeon, Dr. Guerra. Before someone has surgery, the doctors today are very thorough. Boy oh boy, she put me thru the wringer! I had a mammogram, blood test, X-ray and EKG. OK, in a day or so, I may forget how it feels to have a mammogram…maybe more than a couple of days!! LOL!! I’ll let you know. (I may give up eating pancakes!!) On to the blood test-the guy stuck me in the left arm and went fishing…for my vein. I know it’ll be sore for days. AND, to top it off, he totally missed my vein. So then I got stuck in the other arm, too. At least he found it that time. Do you know they do an EKG on you before surgery to check if you had an undetected heart attack? I guess all the times I felt chest pains were NOT heart attacks!

RAKs-definition; Random Acts of Kindness. I want to share a couple of RAK stories with you. You know how I love to go on my ‘crafting getaways’. There are swaps at these events. Someone will post ‘let’s do a ribbon swap, or a page layout swap’ or something like that. There were two charm swaps and about 65 people signed up to make 80+ charms (yes, make like in hand-made). I wanted to sign up to be part of the charm swap but didn’t have the time to make them. So, Michelle was a total dear; she gave me half of the charms she received and made a bracelet for me!!! And I didn’t even make a charm!! OMGosh! I was so touched! Then, I shared my cancer journey with Leslie M. from Texas, a friend that I had met thru this event a couple of years ago. She had a necklace with the charms from both swaps. She gave me her entire necklace!!! Another OMGosh moment!! To Michelle and Leslie; Mahalo for their very generous RAKs.

For the most part, I think I am doing pretty well. Other than being more emotional (is that is possible??), I am really good with the whole cancer thing…except for Tuesday. I don’t know what caused all the emotion. I was crying and fretting. Thank you, Rebecca, for being my rock that day. She has been down the same road as I and it was good to just cry and talk about stuff. It was the same day as my first pre-op appointment. Maybe I have been so busy with work and the funeral and family and my fun events and stuff that I haven’t really, really put a lot of thot into this until my first pre-op appointment? Maybe the stress just got to me? So I got all my crying before and at my appointment out of the way, came home and took a time out…oh, I mean a nap. It’s amazing what closing your eyes for 30 minutes will do for you. I felt ready to go celebrate Barbara’s birthday. Being with Barbara and the girls was the most important part of the day! A perfect way to end the day. We had so much fun that they we closed the restaurant!!

I have already started the next entry so either 1) subscribe or 2) bookmark:
www.atakemoto1.blogspot.com

And check in tomorrow!!

PS. Please feel free to leave a comment:)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment