Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday Night-Post Surgery Day 1

Kind of treading water here.  Anita's blood pressure is still a little low, and she is still on the supermodel diet (ate practically nothing today.)  She got out of bed for a while, but problems with nausea put her back in bed soon.  Really nothing to worry about says Dr. D, just a side effect of being under anesthesia so long.  Its a difficult balance between too much pain meds and not enough.  So she is in CCU probably thru tomorrow.

I was not around much of the day.  I went to Compton College, (Southern Californias oldest junior college) where my 86 year old dad received his college degree today.  My dad was about to enter as a freshman in 1942, when he was sent to the interment camps for japanese americans in WWII.  A recent state assembly bill made it possible for him and his classmates to receive their degrees today.  They had a full on ceremony just like a regular college graduation. So after 68 years, dad finally got his degree.  By my calculations, he may be the slowest college graduate in modern history!!!!  I guess we have to start taking him to job fairs and stuff like that.

A big thanks to hula sister Arlene who stepped in to take care of Anita in the AM while I was gone, and to Donna and Susie (from tennis) who took the afternoon shift.  I think Rose, one of my tennis buddies wife, might have been there also in the afternoon

She is resting easily, napping a lot.  Update again in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to your Dad a very important day for him and his his family!

    I am sure they will figure out the meds so. it is hard but I am glad to know that they and you are taking care of Anita.

    Prayers going up and have a goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry -
    Thank you so much for your great blogs. You are doing a fantastic job! A hearty congratulations to your dad. I think that is fantastic - what a story!
    Anita - We are so happy to hear that your operations went so well. Your positive attitude is going to come in very handy now during your recovery. I know with each passing day, you'll feel better and better. And when you feel ready for visitors, just let us know!
    Sending all our love and prayers -
    Vivian and Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- what a great story, Congrats to your dad and all his classmates. I am so glad they did the whole ceremony for them, a long time coming.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete